Radio reviewer Gary Ryan VK2ZKT has put together this great list of top tips for using the Tecsun AN100 Loop Antenna to help get the best AM reception with your radio.
Tecsun AN100 Loop Antenna Top Tips by Gary Ryan:
- Place the radio and loop outside the house if possible on your veranda or outdoor entertaining area.
- If used inside always switch off all light dimmers.
- Switch off energy saving lamps; these produce all kinds of noise.
- Keep the loop as far as possible away from home entertainment systems like DVD players, LCD and Plasma TVs, set top boxes and the like, as the majority all use switch mode power supplies.
- Start by keeping the loop as close as possible to the radio, within 30mm. The distance will vary, depending upon the size of the ferrite rod antenna inside your receiver, so determine the optimum distance by observing the signal strength.
- Keep mobile phones away from the loop.
- Place the radio for optimum signal by rotating it on a flat surface. Best reception should be obtained when the radio is facing 90 degrees from the direction of the transmitter.
- First tune the receiver to the frequency of interest, then tune the loop for best reception.
- Try different locations in your home; remember you may have insulation that is backed with foil in your walls and or ceiling. This greatly attenuates the signals on the AM broadcast band.
- Always rotate both the radio and loop to gain the best-received signal strength along with the best noise reduction.
- Keep iPods and other MP3 players away from your radio and loop, the RF hash they generate even when switched off is huge.
Radio Reviewer Gary Ryan VK2ZKT wrote a AN100 Loop Antenna review
Here are just a few of the things he had to say in his AN100 Loop Antenna review
“Being a keen AM Broadcast Band listener the opportunity to purchase a loop antenna for AM reception cannot be overlooked.”
“The AN100 Loop Antenna … looks like a piece of artwork … the finish is first grade.”
“By far the best performance was with the loop”
“The AN100 Loop Antenna is a pleasure to use”
“Excellent value and makes a big difference to your listening pleasure to AM radio.”
Read the full AN100 Loop Antenna Review by Gary Ryan VK2ZKT
Being a keen AM Broadcast Band listener the opportunity to purchase the Tecsun AN100 loop antenna for AM reception cannot be overlooked.
I recently purchased the Tecsun AN100 Loop Antenna from Sydney-based Tecsun Radios Australia. The Tecsun loop, unlike other loop antennas on the market, actually works so well and also looks like a piece of artwork. This is important if you want to use the loop in your lounge room or kitchen table. The finish is first grade. The antenna is self-supporting and only has one control, a simple calibrated tuning knob to cover the broadcast band.
What’s in the box?
You get the AN100 loop antenna, interconnecting cable for receivers with external antenna connection and a single sheet of comprehensive yet simple to understand instructions. The instructions are actually quite good and describe the operation of the loop, suggested mounting arrangements and some basic information on AM reception. It should be noted that the loop antenna is designed for the AM Broadcast band only.
Performance and use
The performance was checked during the day and night. First I checked the frequency coverage of the loop. To do this I used my RF Dip Meter and Frequency counter. Frequency coverage was measured at 515 KHz to 1.85 Mhz. Tuning was smooth and quite stable once a frequency was tuned.
I set the loop up to sit at a right angle to my radio and checked out the performance during daylight hours on a number of local stations. The loop made a considerable difference and improved the signal to noise ratio of the received signal. Tuning across the band in between the stations and peaking the “loop tuning control” peaked the reception across the band.
Next night time performance was checked. The performance at night was excellent with the ability to both peak and null out stations allowing the best possible reception available. By far the best performance was with the AN100 loop antenna as shown in the photo below.
I found the AN100 Loop Antenna a pleasure to use. It does not look out of place in the lounge room and I am sure it will be a talking point amongst your friends when they come over. The price is excellent value and makes a big difference to your listening pleasure to AM radio both day and night.
It is also nice to see a local family business importing products like these for the enjoyment of everyone and to enhance their AM reception experience. Plus you get to talk to and have access to local knowledge and support as well. The loop antenna is available from Tecsun Radios Australia.
Tecsun Radios Australia is a second-generation, family-owned and operated Australian business that has established itself as the premier dedicated communications radio provider servicing Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific region.
When you purchase a radio from Tecsun Radios Australia you are supporting a small Australian business that support local jobs and local industry.
We conduct all of our warehousing, marketing, advertising, printing, from local businesses and source our Australia pinned AC chargers with C tick approval from an Australian supplier.
Tecsun Radios also extends a wealth of product knowledge and experience to customers through out email and phone support channels to ensure customers receive the best advice and get the most from their radio purchase. Tecsun Radios Australia also provides the warranty on purchases in Australia and carries a range of spare parts to facilitate repairs.